A balcony is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. It can also be a great place to grow flowers, vegetables, and herbs. If you don’t have much space, you can still create a waterproof garden on your balcony.
What is a Waterproof Garden?
A waterproof garden is a garden that is designed to keep water out. This can be done by using a variety of techniques, including installing a waterproof membrane, constructing raised beds or planting in containers that are specially designed for water retention. You can opt to install the waterproofing system yourself. However, we will still recommend you to get help from ProSeal as they are the professionals and will definitely help you to get the project done skillfully.
Why is it Important To Waterproof Your Balcony Before Turning It Into A Garden?
There are many reasons why it is important to waterproof your balcony before turning it into a garden. First of all, if your balcony is not waterproof, water will get inside and damage the wood or tiles. This can be costly to repair and can also lead to dangerous conditions on the balcony such as mould growth. Additionally, if water gets inside your home, it can cause flooding. Finally, a wet balcony is not comfortable to spend time on and can also be dangerous for children who may fall off the edge. By waterproofing your balcony before turning it into a garden, you’re ensuring that your outdoor space will be functional and safe both now and in the future.
How to Create a Waterproof Garden?
If you love spending time outdoors, but dread the thought of getting your feet wet, a balcony may be just the place for you. A balcony can be transformed into a waterproof garden with a little creative thinking and some easy tips. Here are eight quick and easy tips to get started:
- Install a waterproofing membrane on the deck or wall surrounding your balcony. This will help to protect the wood from moisture and decay, while also providing an effective seal against rain and wind.
- Add planting pots or containers to your balcony to hold water plants. These plants will help to keep the deck or wall dry, while also providing an attractive addition to your space.
- Invite wildlife onto your balcony by planting native plants that attract bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects.
- Install a rain barrel to collect water from the roof and use it to water your plants.
- Add a water feature to your balcony such as a waterfall, fountain or pond. This will add an element of beauty and tranquility to your space, while also helping to keep the deck or wall dry. Use a soaker hose instead of an overhead watering system. Using a soaker hose instead of an overhead watering system can help you save water and keep your balcony looking clean. A soaker hose is a low-pressure system that uses a water reservoir connected to the nozzle, which allows you to spray a wide area without using up too much water. This is ideal for watering large plants or areas that are difficult to reach with an overhead watering system.
- Mulch your garden with wood chips, bark, or other organic material to help retain moisture and reduce evaporation.
- Enjoy your garden while it’s still protected from the elements – most waterproof membranes can be removed when it starts to rain, so you can open the windows and doors to let in the fresh air.